April 13, 2010

Happy to be home.....


As you will know from my last 2 posts – I have returned to London. I can safely say that I am loving it - apart from the cold. I naively believed that as its April that the sun would be shining and it would soon be sandals and sundress weather. How wrong I was. I don’t know whether I am just acclimatising but at the moment it is more than necessary to wear woolly socks, boots, gloves and a hat / scarf combo which leaves no space for the wind to whistle around the back of my neck. I seem to spend all the time when I am out of my bed, shivering, eating soup or drinking tea. That’ll teach me to be so bloody optimistic about the English weather. The major upset is that, what I thought would be a permanent flip-flop tan-line, appears to be fading in front of my eyes. It’s upsetting. I’d just grown to love it.

It’s good to be back in the Motherland and the joy that the simple things are bringing me is crazy. The other day whilst wandering into Superdrug – I think that I let out a little squeal of delight to be back there. You can literally get everything that you want in there. For the record, I’m definitely a Superdrug not a Boots girl – so much cheaper! Also, the joy that is Pound Shops! Whoever came up with that deserves a cuddle and a cup of tea from the entire country. Why would you shop anywhere else but there if you can get pretty much anything you need. Granted, the quality isn’t that great but for a pound you can’t really grumble can you!

I’m living in Brixton at the moment and not only is there a pound shop but when I ventured further down the street the other day I discovered a 99p shop and when at my mates house in Hackney, I saw a 98p shop! Things just keep getting better and better! If anyone knows of a 97p shop – please let me know. Every little helps when you are broke and unemployed!

I know that this will no doubt wear off, but at the moment I am finding everyone so friendly – I am literally having conversations with everyone. They probably think I’m bonkers but it’s just so nice to hear accents that aren’t Australian everywhere! For that comment, I am a bad person and I apologise but at the moment it’s so true! I’m pretty sure that its not totally normal behaviour to smile at everyone but I cant seem to stop at the moment. I must look like a crazy person.

I’m finding it pretty cool to be somewhere with old style buildings, lots of things to look at and lots of people. This isn’t necessarily very practical because I wander around looking at things that aren’t the pavement in front of me and there are a hell of a lot more people in London than there are in Perth and therefore the percentage chance of colliding with someone is much greater. It’s happened a few times but I can’t seem to drag my eyes from all the stuff there is to look at. I’m like a child! A really tall child, who’s dressed in a million layers!

I’m going to make sure that I make the most of this child like open eyed wonder because I’m sure that as soon as it starts to rain and I am employed, I will avoid eye contact, not notice anything but my computer screen all day and not engage total strangers in conversation. Until then though, if you’re in Brixton and you bash into a girl who is smiling and staring at that tree – don’t be mean.

No comments:

Post a Comment